Monday, March 26, 2012

And God Spoke...

I went home for a tiny portion of Spring Break, last week. I had to work most of the week, but I got off Friday, so Thursday night we traveled to North Arkansas to see my parents. I LOVE it up there. The rolling hills, the springs, tiny water falls...family and LOADS of memories from my childhood.

It was a fun, relaxing weekend. I enjoyed my mom's cooking. I enjoyed
seeing family. It was fun hanging out with my sister. I had a good time.


Yet, I was tired.

It was a tiring week, leading up to my mini break. Work has been crazy lately. A lot of new things going on at church. (Good things, but I am kept hopping.) It was an emotional week for my daughter and that was tough. (There were some tears.) My son had a friend over and when he wasn't busy, he was always asking to do something. (Wish I had his energy. I had it once, but I am not sure where it has gone...) Family situations that leave you drained. Frustration over little things build. Add not feeling good because of the allergies and...I AM TIRED.

Yet, somehow, even when you have a relaxing break, doing something you really want to do, with the people you love the most, you can end up exhausted. Sometimes I think we should plan a break, a day of napping after ever vacation. Now, that would be AWESOME!!!

As it was, as we were heading out of town, starting the journey home I was melancholy. I wasn't ready for the next day of church activities and then a new work week. I was sad to leave my family again. I just was tired. I was already worrying about the week ahead. I was having trouble seeing my blessings and getting out of my "me" pity party.

And then a little further down the road, I saw this...


God said "hello."

All of a sudden my weariness was lost in the beauty of His artwork that night. I was still tired, but I knew that if He can create something beautiful for the whole world to see in an instant, He can certainly give me strength to follow His plan for me the next few days.

Hmm...
Sometimes I need to be reminded that not everything is about me. Sometimes God has to show me the bigger picture. I was blessed with a masterpiece.

3 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

God say hello to me last week while traveling to my parents' house. In the medians along the highways in NC, there are wildflowers of all varieties, intentionally planted so that when you round the bend, a splash of color meets your gaze. Every time (without fail) I see such a sight, I get a tear or two... wanting to stop my car and just jump in. It's a beautiful reminder for me to keep looking for the grace of Jesus on the journey.

FYI, I feel the same about vacations. I need a vacation to recover from my vacation!

peace~elaine

Blue Cotton Memory said...

Yes - a vacation napping day the day after you get home! So glad you got to visit with your family - and so glad it still feels so wonderful you hate to leave!
http://bluecottonmemory.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/pennsylvania-bloggers-help-find-annie/

Kellie said...

So glad you enjoyed yourself with your family. God truly does speak to us in the beauty and in the quietness that we so quickly pass by in our busy lives. Glad you got a chance to slow down.