My baby girl LOVES her music. She gets it honestly, for her daddy has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. Between the two of them, there is constant music in our house. They may clash, butt heads and argue over many things (they are too much alike at times), but music will never be one of them. Unless of course she takes her dad's friend without asking...
then the battle begins!
However, because they share a love for different types of music (mom here would be happy listening to praise and worship ALL day long!!!), her dad has opened her world or I should say her ears to the limitless possibilities we now have to listen to in Christian music. I have to admit, I don't like all of them, due to the fact that I still don't think SCREAMING into the mic is my definition of praise and worship, but then who am I to judge? Especially when I think of what I use to listen to! At least she has choices...
I have to take my hat off to the Christian music scene these days. They have given young people today, choices. When I was a kid, it was either Amy Grant or Sandi Patti. As much as I loved those two artists, still do, they didn't fill my need to "rock out" like so many songs my parents moaned and groaned about.
I try not to moan and groan. After all, I still love me a good Bon Jovi hit every once in a while... (I was never much in to the heavy metal or rap scene) And she is really good about getting permission to put a non Christian song on her Ipod. But we still watch her pretty close.
Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see what she rates as her faves. I wonder if we will agree on any of them?!
Here is Kayla's Top 20 countdown...although they are in random order. In other words it is "too hard to pick favorites Mom!" (In other words, it depends on the day and the mood!) So here are Kayla's recommendations for the young, or even the young at heart...
1. Breathe Your Life Into Me by Red. - this is a little on the "hard rock" side. A little edgy.
2. Give me your Eyes by Brandon Heath - I like this one.
3. Free to Be Me by Francesca Battistelli - I think she is a fun listen. I love this song too.
4. Anymore by Brooke Barrettsmith - I saw a promo video of her on YouTube and loved what she had to say about her faith and her songs. She is a rocker.
5. Not Afraid by Stephanie Smith
6. Superstar by Stephanie Smith
7. The Motions by Matthew West - I love this song. If you haven't ever seen the video or heard the story behind this song you need to. It is powerful.
8. Monster by Skillet - Not a favorite of mine. Very HARD and edgy.
9. Made to Love by TobyMac
10. You by 21:03 - pop, hip hop kind of song
11. Don't Waste Your Life by Lecrae - Rap. I'm not a fan of rap, but this song has a GREAT message.
12. East to West by Casting Crowns - Ahh! That's my girl!!!!
13. Boundaries by Kris Allen - No apologies, but we are American Idol fans, and loved Kris Allen.
14. Never Alone by Barlow Girls - not bad role models for a young lady.
15. Stand in the Rain by Super chick - we went through a stage when we heard this song OVER AND OVER AND OVER...
16. Frontline by Pillar
17. Definition of Me by Mandisa - not my favorite of her songs, but it has a great message.
18. Slow Fade by Casting Crowns - :)
19. Freedom Song by Mandisa - Kay and I belt this one out in the car all the time! Love us some Mandisa!!!
20. Tears of the Saints by Leeland - Her dad took her to their concert this past year and she has been a huge fan ever since.
Not bad, baby girl!
Do you know what your kids are listening to? Need any suggestions?