Monday, September 14, 2009

Kayla's Top 20 countdown...get ready to jam!.

See this young lady...Meet one of her best friends...


My baby girl LOVES her music. She gets it honestly, for her daddy has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. Between the two of them, there is constant music in our house. They may clash, butt heads and argue over many things (they are too much alike at times), but music will never be one of them. Unless of course she takes her dad's friend without asking...





then the battle begins!

However, because they share a love for different types of music (mom here would be happy listening to praise and worship ALL day long!!!), her dad has opened her world or I should say her ears to the limitless possibilities we now have to listen to in Christian music. I have to admit, I don't like all of them, due to the fact that I still don't think SCREAMING into the mic is my definition of praise and worship, but then who am I to judge? Especially when I think of what I use to listen to! At least she has choices...

I have to take my hat off to the Christian music scene these days. They have given young people today, choices. When I was a kid, it was either Amy Grant or Sandi Patti. As much as I loved those two artists, still do, they didn't fill my need to "rock out" like so many songs my parents moaned and groaned about.

I try not to moan and groan. After all, I still love me a good Bon Jovi hit every once in a while... (I was never much in to the heavy metal or rap scene) And she is really good about getting permission to put a non Christian song on her Ipod. But we still watch her pretty close.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see what she rates as her faves. I wonder if we will agree on any of them?!

Here is Kayla's Top 20 countdown...although they are in random order. In other words it is "too hard to pick favorites Mom!" (In other words, it depends on the day and the mood!) So here are Kayla's recommendations for the young, or even the young at heart...

1. Breathe Your Life Into Me by Red. - this is a little on the "hard rock" side. A little edgy.

2. Give me your Eyes by Brandon Heath - I like this one.

3. Free to Be Me by Francesca Battistelli - I think she is a fun listen. I love this song too.

4. Anymore by Brooke Barrettsmith - I saw a promo video of her on YouTube and loved what she had to say about her faith and her songs. She is a rocker.

5. Not Afraid by Stephanie Smith

6. Superstar by Stephanie Smith

7. The Motions by Matthew West - I love this song. If you haven't ever seen the video or heard the story behind this song you need to. It is powerful.

8. Monster by Skillet - Not a favorite of mine. Very HARD and edgy.

9. Made to Love by TobyMac

10. You by 21:03 - pop, hip hop kind of song

11. Don't Waste Your Life by Lecrae - Rap. I'm not a fan of rap, but this song has a GREAT message.

12. East to West by Casting Crowns - Ahh! That's my girl!!!!

13. Boundaries by Kris Allen - No apologies, but we are American Idol fans, and loved Kris Allen.

14. Never Alone by Barlow Girls - not bad role models for a young lady.

15. Stand in the Rain by Super chick - we went through a stage when we heard this song OVER AND OVER AND OVER...

16. Frontline by Pillar

17. Definition of Me by Mandisa - not my favorite of her songs, but it has a great message.

18. Slow Fade by Casting Crowns - :)

19. Freedom Song by Mandisa - Kay and I belt this one out in the car all the time! Love us some Mandisa!!!

20. Tears of the Saints by Leeland - Her dad took her to their concert this past year and she has been a huge fan ever since.

Not bad, baby girl!

Do you know what your kids are listening to? Need any suggestions?

11 comments:

Amber said...

That girl knows her music, for sure.

Good picks, Kay!!!

He & Me + 3 said...

That was an awesome list. I love Francesca Battistelli & Brandon Heath as well as Kris Allen...so glad he won too. I didn't watch but one episode of AI last season, but the one I saw...I picked Kris as my fav. I hope he makes a positive impact on the world through his music like he was doing in his home church.

Kristin said...

I loved this post! I only started listening to Christian music about 4 or 5 months ago and I can't get enough of it! It's all I listen to now and I love it! I had no idea there were so many different bands and sounds within Christian music. Leeland is my alltime favorite band.....they are from my town and have a church here! I have seen them at their church, but haven't met them :( I just did a post on Never Alone the other day too!

I fell in love with Phil Wickham's music awhile back too and right now, I'm listening to Kari Jobe and Sarah Hart Pearsons daily.

Heart2Heart said...

Mich,

Your daughter Kayla and I for the most part would love the same songs. I am not into the hard and edgy screamo as they call it now. Just can't see to stomach it. I love everything else she has listed and we would get along just fine.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Gretchen said...

Ah...music. The great connector. From Christian to funk, we love to share in our home, too. Great picks!

Pilar said...

I only know East to West by Casting Crown, but it could be because and I am not a teen. I think selah is as "edgy" as I go, which is funny because selah is not edgy at all :)

I am with you though, I don´t like rock, or edgy music. You are better though, I am pretty sure I would fuss about it if my girls listen to that music.

Sharon Sloan said...

Great List! Although a couple of them I never heard of (being in my 40s and all). I'll have to go over to playlist.com and take a listen. :)

Neat to know your hubby has a beautiful voice. What a blesssing!

Anonymous said...

Well, K may have just contributed to my iPod. Those were some fun picks.

I like a little bit of everything. My kids have been exposed to many genres of music. Hopefully I'll always be able to pick at least a few songs that they're listening to that don't make my ears bleed.

really.truly said...

Music can change your mood and give you energy! I need to play it around the house more often.

Her choices are awesome....many I had never heard before :)

christy rose said...

Great List! I did not recognize all of them. But most of them I love.

Five Moms & A Blog said...

I love Kris Allen too! Woo hoo! Huge IDOL fan here, too.

Glad you don't mind my GEEKY self. Hope those HTML tips come in handy for ya sometime.

Erica