Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Proverbs 31 Woman...


"A wife of noble character who can find?

She is worth more than rubies,

Her husband has full confidence in her

and lacks nothing of value.

She brings him good, not harm,

all the days of her life.

She selects wool and flax

and works with eager hands,

She is like the merchant ships,

bringing her food from afar.

she gets up while it is still dark;

she provides food for her family

and portions for her servant girls.

She considers a field and buys it;

out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

she sets about her work vigorously;

her arms are strong for her tasks.

She sees that her trading is profitable

and her lamp does not go out at night.

In her hand she holds the distaff

and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

She opens her arms to the poor

and extends her hands to the needy.

When it snows, she has no fear for her household;

for all are clothed in scarlet.

She makes coverings for her bed;

she is clothed in fine linen and purple,

Her husband is respected in the city gate,

where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

She makes linen garments and sells them,

and supplies the merchants with sashes.

She is clothed with strength and dignity;

she can laugh at the days to come.

She speaks with wisdom,

and faithful instruction was on her tongue.

She watched over the affairs of her household

and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Her children arise and call her blessed;

her husband also, and he praises her;

"Many women do noble things,

but you surpass them all."

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;

but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

- Proverbs 31:10-30


Today is my mom's birthday. I have used this verse before in tributes and cards and it never gets old. In my eyes, my mom was and still is all that Proverbs 31 represents. Her strength, her faith and her love are all characteristics that I pray everyday for. I want to be just like my mom when I grow up!


Growing up I saw her go without new things, so I could have my heart's desires. I watched her and my dad share and teach their faith, both in churches and on the mission field. She always made sure my sister and I had what we needed; we were always fed and dressed and she made our house a home. She is soft spoken, yet firm, compassionate, yet strong. She is a natural caregiver who loves her family and still takes care of all of us. I thank God everyday for her and the example she set in my life. I am blessed.



Mom,

I love you!

Hope you have a beautiful birthday!

And I don't care how old you are, you can still celebrate. :)

6 comments:

Bridget said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom! What a wonderful tribute. You both have the same smile, too.

Kellie said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom! I hope her day is very special. :)

Angie said...

She's a jewel. And her daughter is just like her.

Happy Birthday, V!

Anonymous said...

I so want my sons to think of me as a Proverbs 31 woman - however, soft spoken is not a word they would use to describe me. I don't know if it is possible to be a mom of a bunch of sons (no daughters) and be soft-spoken.(Please don't tell me it is because then I would feel like such a failure)

Happy Birthday to your Mom! What a blessing for both of you:)

Kristin said...

She sure raised a beautiful daughter, inside and out! :) Hope she had a wonderful birthday!

He & Me + 3 said...

That is the best thing you can say about any woman is to call her a proverbs 31 woman. She must be amazing! Happy Birthday to your beautiful mom