Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Ponytail "Pick me up"...

I had a horrible headache yesterday, so I was not in the computer mood, so I'm just now getting around to telling you something that happened to me on Monday. Not earth shattering news, of course, but just a funny little tidbit.

It all started Sunday, when I decided to let my hair go the curly route. Ya see, my hair is not super straight or full of beautiful curls, it is somewhere in the middle, which means I can never just get out of bed and comb it. I either have to help the natural curls along with a curling iron or blow dry my hair straight. Well, I had the Monday morning blues... nothing went right in my getting ready for work. I over slept. I didn't have time for a shower. I didn't have time to even iron my scrubs. (My husband thinks this is a funny waste of time, since they are wrinkled by the end of the day anyway!) Of course, this isn't always a problem, since usually my hair has already been blow dried straight the day before. However, I had gone the curly route on Sunday, and let's just say when I woke up Monday morning, it was slightly on the SCARY side! I remember looking in the mirror and declaring to myself that it was definitely a ponytail day.

Now, the truth is, I don't wear a ponytail very often, anymore. Usually when I do, it is because of dirty hair or because it was a bad hair day. Since I have already established why I had the ponytail, I will now tell you how I felt. Yucky! I felt like everyone was looking at my hair all day, wondering when was the last time I took a bath!

The worst part is that after work, I had to go to Monday night Bible study with the youth girls. I came home in dread. I looked once again in the mirror with disgust. Here I was tired, dirty hair in a ponytail, fixing to hang out with a bunch of teenage girls. They are going to take one look at me and turn the other way. It is sad, for here I am an adult woman, trying to still impress a bunch of girls! What is wrong with that picture?! I finally gave up, put on my oldest sweatshirt and jeans and headed out the door. If I was going scruffy, I might as well go all the way!

Truth is, God meets us when we need a little boost. He sends a little angel our way with a "pick me up" when we desperately need one. In my case it was about 40 young angels!!! You see, I was feeling low about myself, yet when I walked into the youth area where there were about forty something young girls hanging out, I was greeted with smiles and hugs. The crazy part is about 20 of them, no lie, asked me about my hair. They "liked" my hair in a ponytail. In fact, every time I turned around, someone was asking me about my ponytail. Funny, huh? I haven't received that much attention on a Sunday morning when I think I look my best!

Now I know I didn't look wonderful, for my hair really was dirty and I had stains on my sweatshirt. However, I learned a valuable lesson that night... it didn't matter! God sent his little angels with words of unnecessary praise to help boost my spirit and send me a hug.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I'm right there with you on the dirty hair-ponytail day! So no sassy comments from me today!! :)

I just want to know when you hair grew long enough to put up in a ponytail...it hasn't been that long since I've seen you!!!!!