Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pirate Pizazz...

We are not big Halloween celebrators around here. My kids have always gone to church sponsored carnivals and that is it. No witches, ghosts or goblins for us... So when Kayla asked if she could go to the Halloween dance at school, well I was a little "iffy" on it. However, we finally decided since it was "school sponsored" that we would let her go.

Next problem? A costume, Mom and Dad approved that was still "cool" enough to be seen in. Not an easy task, let me tell you. Kayla insisted that she DID NOT want to be any kind of princess, fairy, angel, etc..etc...etc... She wanted something a little edgy. EDGY?!!! What is that suppose to mean?! I guess a clown is out of the question!

So I set out to find the perfect "EDGY," dad approved costume. Do you know that if you google "teen costumes" you find outfits that are way beyond a little edgy..."embarrassing" is a better word. Is a teenager allowed to be modest anymore? We live in a sad, sad world.

I finally found at Kmart, a costume that I thought all would approve of. A Pirate. It wasn't cut too low, wasn't too short and it fit the edgy requirement. When I got the dagger it had a BIG skull on it, which I wasn't happy over, but as Kayla said, "MOM, IT IS A PIRATE COSTUME!!!"

So last night after I got off work, we went to work on getting her ready for the big dance. She turned out cute. I haven't heard how everything went, for she went home with a friend afterwards. But I do know that she was so excited when she left last night. Oh, they grow up too fast!




11 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

Super cute. my kids were pirates a few years ago. So cute. She looks great in that costume. Hope she had fun.

Tiffany said...

That is a cute costume - you did a great job! And she looks JUST like you! I saw your photo on the side next to hers and did a double take! {grin}

Kristin said...

I think that's adorable! I had the hardest time finding my 9 year old a costume this year because she's getting too big for the girls sizes and you're right about the teen costumes.....they're awful! We finally found a cleopatra dress that she liked. It's really hard and I discovered I really hate Halloween!

Gretchen said...

She looks great!

Mimmy said...

Mich, this post is defineately connected with your "I Give Up" post. You did a wonderful thing by letting Kayla have an "edgy" costume for her dance. Looking back on my kids when they were teens, it would have been much better all around if I had let go just a little bit more than I did. My aunt used to be a worrier and when we would occassionally call her on the carpet for it she would say, "I don't worry, I'm just overly concerned." All of us have our times of over "concernedness" but as long as we do give it to the Lord, I'm quite sure he doesn't mind if we keep the issues in our thoughts.

Have a "splendiferously" blessed weekend.

God Bless,
Mimmy

Unknown said...

Great costume. I agree. Church events are way more fun than walking through dark streets. We go to one run by a church every year in Greendale. The kids play carnival games and still walk away with a bag of candy. Have fun!

~*Michelle*~ said...

She looks adorable!

I, too.....am SO not thrilled with the costumes they have for kids (especially girls)....most are borderline sleazy. ACK!

momstheword said...

I saw this in my google reader and just thought she looks adorable! How fun!

Loved how you said it's just a change of action, so true. Sometimes it's just all about changing priorities for the moment!

Jo said...

I'm with Tiffany. I looked over at yours and Kevin's pic on the side as I was reading your blog...and you and Kayla could be twins! Loved the costume, too. Kayla looks really cute (and grown up, too. Sorry!). Where have all the years gone?
Hope she had loads of fun at her party.

Love you!
Aunt Jo

Amber said...

Look at her.

When did she grow up??? This is just not right. Not right at all.

She's gorgeous.

Angie said...

So cute! Capt. Jack Sparrow would be proud.