Tuesday, July 8, 2008

To Swim or Not to Swim...

It is summer. In my family, that can only mean one thing...we have to go swimming! Actually, let me rephrase that, MY FAMILY has to go swimming. Me? Well I am one of those few people in this world, that don't enjoy the whole experience. I don't like bathing suits, I don't like burning eyes, I don't like the water in my ears, I don't like cold water, I don't like being splashed, I don't like being dunked...

The truth is that when I was little, probably around four, the creek current swept me away... I don't think I've been the same about water since. Oh, I put on a good show. I took the swim lessons, I went to the pool parties, I swam laps in school P.E class, but the older I got the harder it was. When I was a teenager, it was a struggle. Being thrown in and dunked were common. It sometimes took all my strength to not panic, when someone walked by and pushed me in. And then there were the bathing suits... I don't think I've ever found one that fit me just right or looked decent on me, both during my skinny phase and "mama belly" stage.

Family and friends often say if I had my own pool, maybe... who knows they might be right. However, the honest truth is that I never take a bath, I'm a shower girl. And the older my kids get, the less I want to swim with them. ( They are now in the splashing, dunking, wrestling phase of life.)

Do I regret it? Yeah, I have moments. Sometimes I wish I DESIRED to go swimming with my family. But then don't we all have a desire deep down to get rid of our fears? Who knows, maybe one day... I can only handle one challenge at a time, and this one isn't it, for now anyway...

In the mean time, I enjoy being the mommy sitting by the pool, taking pictures, capturing the moments... here are a few...

My floating princess...

don't know how... Ready for the splash...
Running on water...

Have a great swim! Let me know when and where, and I'll bring my camera...

1 comment:

Amber said...

Good pictures.

That one of Jordan "running" is really good.

Looking forward to them coming to my house in a few weeks...good thing they like to swim! That seems to be all we do.