Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Jordan's flag

When I was a child, I had a very active imagination. I was never "alone." My stuffed animals became my friends, while my room became my haven. I even had imaginary friends. In my room, life was always great, dreams always came true and there were definitely many "happily ever afters."

When I played with my real 'live and kicking friends", we were always creating some fantasy world. Whether we were the Charlie's Angels or playing house, there was always a drama waiting to unfold on the playground. Between somersaults or a game of freeze tag, our imaginations would run wild! Promises were made and broken, while memories were in the making.

However, sometimes I worry about the kids of today. I look at my children and wonder if children no longer know how to entertain themselves? My daughter has a very creative side to her, yet still would rather listen to music, play on the computer or watch TV, instead of allowing her mind to just wonder... And my son? Well let's say he probably needs to be reminded of what the word imagination Even means!!! If it is not some kind of electronic contraption or a sport, do my kids know what it means to "just play?"

I was blessed with a small token of a moment that gave me just a little hope... While my nephews were here visiting, the oldest, Keaton, asked me for tape, paper, markers, etc... I asked Jordan what they were doing, since all the boys were in the back yard playing. "We are making our flag!" he answered.

"Flag?" Sure enough, there in the back yard, four little boys had created their little imaginary club, with a flag. I didn't think much of it at the time, mainly because all the boys left that day, including Jordan who went to stay with them for the week. However, yesterday, Jordan comes in and gets a piece of my white, scrapbook paper, and asked for a marker and some tape. I asked what he was up to. "I have to fix our flag, Mom. The boys are depending on me!" I looked out the window, and there he was, by himself, making sure the flag stood tall.

I had to smile. No, he didn't stay out there and play, but he had found something that a computer or PlayStation game couldn't given him... his imagination! And he was determined to keep that moment alive...

The second flag made by Jordan, standing tall in our backyard...

1 comment:

Amber said...

Precious Jordan...

So sweet...I'll tell the boys that their flag is intact.