Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Best Chicken Noodle Soup Ever!!!

A few weeks ago, you my very few, faithful, followers probably remember I had my wisdom tooth removed and was down and out for a few days. Don't worry, this is not another post about my big mouth and all it's troubles... No, it is so much better than all of that.

Well anyway, while I was out and hurting, my wonderful pastor's wife made me some soup and cornbread. YUM!!! I have to say it was simply the best chicken noodle soup I have ever had and the best cornbread too! My kids wanted seconds and thirds. I enjoyed it very much too, and that is so unusual for me because I usually only like chicken noodle when I'm sick.

The crazy thing is that when I went back to ask for the recipe, she couldn't give me one. You see, she is one of those "a little of this and a little of that" cooks. In other words, nothing is ever written down. They experiment with every pot, and no two bowls taste the same. Very frustrating for someone like me who didn't grow up cooking from scratch. (I think if you have to add an ingredient or two, even if it comes in a box or can, that it is from scratch!!!)

However, this wonderful cook of a friend dictated to me what she "remembers" doing so I could reproduce what my kids called the"best soup ever." Granted people, if you like lots of veggies and "chunks" of stuff that doesn't look like it should be there, there might be a better soup out there for you. But if you are looking for a "kid friendly, " the onions are in there but you can't see anything but chicken and noodles, then this is certainly right up your alley!!!

Anyway, I'm writing about the soup tonight because I attempted to recreate the culinary masterpiece and be "the best Mom ever!" Did I succeed? Partly... I say that because it did turn out delicious, if I do say so myself. However, it may take me a few tries to get it "just right." Not all is lost, for I will keep trying because the family did give it a thumbs up.

If you would like to attempt your own version of "the best soup ever," then here are the ingredients my dear friend sort of "remembers."

Chicken breast boiled in bouillon cubes, garlic salt, onion and salt and pepper.
Add chicken stock as needed.
Take the chicken out and shred, put the egg noodles in to cook in the chicken stock.
Add a can of cream of celery soup.
Put the chicken back in the pot and add some ranch seasoning mix.

Easy. But oh so good. I guess the next step will be finding out how she made her cornbread...it certainly wasn't Martha White! Sorry Martha, but evidently you and I haven't been cooking from scratch all these years...

1 comment:

Amber said...

Look at you....bustin' out the recipe. You gonna cook me some of that?