Monday, January 5, 2009

A Song in my Heart!

OK, this morning I wrote about giving Monday a chance, while trying to find the good in my day no matter what, and decided to share a favorite song to uplift us all...

Well, here I am with an update as to how Monday treated me after I so graciously tried to give the day a break. First of all, I have to say, as a Christian I learned real young, that when you want to do the right thing, say the right thing, be the kind of person the Heavenly Father would love for you to be, well that is when Satan tends to like to leave his calling card. So, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt, since I wanted to have a "positive" day, that there were going to be some "negatives" waiting to stomp on my good mood. However, going in warned is half the battle , right?

Truth. There were a few negatives... an individual at work quit, a baby threw up on me (And I'm not talking spit up!), Walmart was out of the composition books, my son needs for school tomorrow (What? They always have thousands of those things laying around!) it is cold, wet, and I had to go to the grocery store in it (We were out of everything!), someone cut in front of me in the parking lot, totally not knowing how to drive right (It must have been a man!!!) and Kevin is going on a diet (Pray for him!) and I'm trying to cut back too, so even though I know I'm not, I FEEL like I'm starving!

There were other normal little things like bills to pay, kids fighting, etc... that have also entered my day. But you know what? I survived!!! I had a little bounce in my step as I left the house this morning, I was totally ready to face the day after a little praying and listening to my new favorite song. I just knew being "prepared" in my heart for the day ahead was going to see me through.

Did my plan work? Was my attitude POSITIVE? I think so. And I will tell you why...I went with a song in my heart! When I got to work I found a new praise CD too which helped a lot, I found myself singing all day! I have felt closer to God today, than I have in a long time. Especially while going through the piddle paddle us moms have to do and deal with everyday. I realized I was HAPPY.

Now don't get me wrong, nothing can be substituted for prayer and Bible study, but for us moms that are on the go, there is a quick fix for lifting the spirits during the never ending duties of motherhood and housewife. It is called MUSIC. Ask my family...I listen to music while I clean, wash the dishes and cook dinner (don't tell, but my family has been known to do some "kitchen dancing" too!) There is nothing better at changing my mood, than the sweet sound of praise.

So, this got me to thinking about music and my favorite uplifting songs. I decided to give you my top ten favorites. If you love music like my family does, then you probably know them all, but who knows you might find a new one on my list too.

1. The Revelation Song - Kari Jobe
- Kari Jobe is with Gateway Worship. They are this totally AWESOME group of musicians. I have yet to find a song of theirs that doesn't inspire me to worship!

2. How Great is our God - Chris Tomlin
- Is there a bad song by Chris Tomlin? I don't think so. God has certainly blessed him with a special gift of writing praise.

3.Mighty to Save - Laura Story
- This song comes from a favorite verse of mine found in Zephaniah 3:17.


4. Worthy is the Lamb - Darlene Zschech and Hillsong
- We sing this on Sunday mornings at church. I can't help but lift my hands in praise every time I sing it!


5. Your Name - Paul Baloche
- We sing this one at church too. His version is not my favorite, but I love the song.


6. Word of God Speak - Mercy Me
- I love Mercy Me. There is a quality in the lead singer's voice that reminds me of my husband when he sings. This song has always spoke to me.


7. Cinderella - Steven Curtis Chapman
- I know this isn't the usual "praise" song, however, when I hear it I am reminded of the Chapman family, all they have been through and how they are still singing. It also serves as a reminder of how precious time with our children really is.


8. Louder than the Angels - Joel Engle
- Joel Engle was our worship leader at camp a few years ago. I was struggling with losing a family member. I had and still have tremendous peace flow through me when I hear this song and I'm reminded of that time. He also has one that is called "In the Shadow of the Cross" that is beautiful too.

9. My Redeemer Lives - Nicole C. Mullen
- This is an oldie but goodie. The power of the words touches my heart every time!

10. I'm going to end with a hymn. Amazing Grace. (My favorite is actually "How Great Thou Art." I especially love it when it is sung with Chris Tomlin's "How Great is our God." )However, I chose my husband's favorite hymn. I chose it in honor of him. God blessed me with a musician for a husband and he truly inspires me to worship when he sings, because he has such a heart for worship. Although we like the old hymn, nothing wrong with the way it was originally written...once again the Chris Tomlin version "Amazing Grace (My chains are gone)" totally stirs my heart.

Alright, there you have it. My top ten favorites, for now anyway. There will be something new and beautiful that will come out tomorrow that will have me "kitchen dancing," for joy. Truth is my list could have been longer...

I would love to hear from you and what your favorite songs are, maybe you could give me your top three? I'm always searching for a new little song to fight of the Monday blues!

Remember, the Lord didn't promise that we wouldn't ever have troubles...He promised us His presence amidst those troubles. So dust off your CD player, or tune into your favorite radio station and put a little bounce back in your step as you head out the door each day. I promise, if you look for it, you'll find that song in your heart!

2 comments:

Amber said...

I'd give you my top favorite songs, but they are all of yours....it is that crazy sister intuition thing again.....hmmmmm...

Glad you had a good day in spite of some not fun happenings!

Love ya!

S and J said...

Praise music touches the soul so quickly and so deeply and is a very important part of my daily life....as often as I can, I have it turned on and I even got one of those MP3 player thingies for 30 bucks at Walmart and put my favorites on there!
I'm enjoying having a peek into your lives....and yes, it is nice to see other normal people living life. My favorite new concept from my pastor's wife is "not enduring, not surviving, but THRIVING" at all that God calls me to do. Its a day to day and sometimes moment by moment challenge, but God is so faithful even when I'm not.

Your notebook story is so funny. For the first time this year, I bought like a crate of those things back in August when they were 10 cents each and I'm hoping they last us through the year so I don't have to go hunting for more!