Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A New Day...

There is a quote from the Anne of Green Gables movie that has stayed with me since I first saw the movie, as a kid. Although I can't quote it word for word, it goes something kind of like this...

"Tomorrow is a new day, with no mistakes."

(I believe it was said by Anne's teacher, Ms. Stacy, in an attempt to encourage Anne.)


We all need a little encouraging from time to time. There are days when I feel like such a failure...going to bed with the burden of not "getting things right" all the time. Whether as a wife, a mom, a friend, a minister's wife, as a follower of Christ...


Yep, contrary to what some people think (very few wearing rose colored glasses), I don't live a perfect life and have it all together all the time. There are some of us that have just mastered the art of making you think we do. It is a joy as well as a huge burden to live in this "fish bowl" called ministry life. Nobody really wants the REAL Michele to stand up!!!


The other night I was having one of my down moments... boy, Satan knows where to hit you where it counts. I am bad about not letting go of things. Wanting to have a big pity party when the frustrations build and then feeling guilty later. Life can be so hard. God never said it would be easy to follow Him, He just said He would provide the strength to make it through. There are always going to be those "bad hair days" that creep up on us and insist on trying to steal our joy. (If we let it.)

Thankfully each day is "is a new day" because the blood of Jesus pours over us with grace and new beginnings. I am so thankful for the strength, hope and love that that grace provides. How AWESOME is our Lord, that even when we make mistakes, He is there to provide us with a "fresh start" with forgiveness.

We are all human. We are going to mess up, some of us just do it bigger and louder than others. On those days when I am impatient, snappy, irritable and even irrational, I am so thankful that God allows me the opportunity to "change my ways" and start fresh, if I only ask.

One of my husband's favorite songs to sing on Wednesday nights with his students has become one of my favorite choruses. It is very simplistic, yet every time I hear it I am moved by the thought of starting my day empowered by the strength of the Lord. You may have heard it before, but I thought I would share it with you today. May it encourage you.

The Day is Dawning
Give me a chance, I want to change my ways
'cause I can't live here and look the same.
Let me look up, let me look to your face
And set me in my place, Oh Lord
Set me in my place.
The day is dawning and I am just rising
I pray my (strength, hope, love) won't fail
I pray my strength won't fail
The day is dawning and I am just rising
I pray my strength won't fail
I pray my strength won't fail.

Give me a chance, I want to rise above
and grow in the knowledge of your love
Help me to be someone who follows you
and make my heart like new, oh Lord
make my heart like new.
The day is dawning and I am just rising
I pray my strength won't fail.
I pray my strength won't fail.

Give me a chance
I want to change my ways
'cause I can't live here and look the same.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I love you.

So crazy much.

Jim said...

Sis,
Ditto on Amb's comment.

Didjaeverthink that if there were no valleys the mountains wouldn't be so awesome and gloriously high? If there were no valleys we'd never raise our faces to the heights to see Him who calls us to look to the hills, "from whence cometh our help"!

Didjaeverthink...

Knowing you, youprobablydidthink...

Again Ditto on Amb's.

Dad

Gretchen said...

Oh...just want to rub your back and give you chocolate, my friend. Hang on to those truths. He loves you so much. Funny, as I'm writing my baptism testimony, I keep coming to the part where I realize that Jesus isn't just my focus, He's my focuser. Amazing all He is, if we just follow. Hugs.