Saturday, June 6, 2009

The "Flip Side" of things...

The house is quiet. Jordan is spending the night with a friend. Kevin and Kayla are fishing. I'm taking a little break from the laundry and packing. In my head is all kinds of ideas and info floating around...

I've started studying for camp. I can feel already that it is going to be a powerful camp. Just the subject matter alone has left me humbled and shaken just from studying. We are going to be talking about the "flip side " of things. Being different than what this world thinks is right. Setting yourself apart, going against the norm, even when it seems like you are swimming upstream, the opposite direction of everyone else. Tough. John the Baptist stood out. He dressed different, he ate different, he spoke different, he LIVED differently. Jesus himself didn't come in as a normal king would, yet made His presence known in a powerful way. Each disciple was going about their daily tasks when Jesus said "follow me."

You have to ask the question: Am I ready to live for Christ, no matter what it takes, even if I have to be different? When going about my daily routine, do I have what it takes to drop everything and "follow Jesus." We have some pretty hefty role models to follow. Sometimes we think the missionaries and the preachers are the only ones that have to drop everything and go and act differently. But that is not what the Bible reads. Jesus didn't call the priests and rabbis to be his disciples. He called those everyday people, like you and me.

Speaking as a missionary kid and a minister's wife, those that seem to have a ministry minded occupation started out like everyone else...just doing their thing, when one day God said "follow me." Examples? My dad was in the Navy when he felt the called to preach. Later he would be a small town preacher, when God would grab hold of him and my teacher mother and give them a heart for missions. My husband was a freshman in college at a church retreat. He was going to be an architect until God spoke. He changed schools, majors and his focus. Even letting go of a longtime girlfriend because her heart was not on the same page as his. I have several friends who have had a settled life and then God spoke and changed everything.

I guess what I am saying is that we should never get too comfortable. We should always be listening for the Savior's voice. Whether he just asks us to change the way we dress, act or talk, to set ourselves apart or whether he has a mission cut out especially for each of us. As I continue to study, I am totally humbled by the disciples and their calling. What went through their minds and their hearts as they gave up everything to walk with the Savior. You can't help but be a little jealous that they actually got to talk and laugh with Jesus in such a personal way. Yet, that is where the jealousy ends, for they also had to bear the burden up close and personal of watching Jesus die on that cross. A little overwhelming...

So, it is my prayer, my friends that you and I will both stay alert to the calling of our Savior. Whether he wants us to go across the world, or whether he wants us to be that shining light at work and to the neighborhood, we need to be willing to follow that calling. So much easier to type and say than to actually accomplish. But isn't that the best part of following Jesus? He didn't give up on his disciples when they whined, complained and even denied knowing him, no, he loved them anyway. Faults and all, using each man's story for his glory, in a book we call the Bible. Pretty awesome.

I leave for camp in a day and a half. I'm trying my best to be faithful and strong, keeping in mind that I am answering a call. Keeping in mind that it may be out of my comfort zone and that he wants us all to get out of the boat and have a little faith. I also have to be aware that there will be hundreds of kids at camp learning to listen for their own Savior's call. Powerful stuff. We can all have a domino affect on this world for Christ, if we open our hearts to the possibilities.

Thank you for your prayers. I will need them. Please pray for camp, that it will change some lives...and in the process change the world one individual at a time.

*** If you wouldn't mind saying a healing prayer for me. My allergies are acting up and my throat has hurt all day. I feel like I'm getting sick. I want more than anything to be energetic and feeling great while at camp, so I will not be distracted. Thanks!***

6 comments:

Amber said...

Praying that camp is a great experience for you and for all the kids that will be there.

Love ya. Miss you like crazy.

~*Michelle*~ said...

Whether he wants us to go across the world, or whether he wants us to be that shining light at work and to the neighborhood, we need to be willing to follow that calling.

Amen to that!

I will keep you in prayer....for your camp experience overall, and for the allergies. I am fighting some super pollen myself, so I feel your pain, sista!

I can already tell (even though I haven't "known" you long.....) that you are going to be such a blessing at this camp.

xox

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

Have a great trip! I'll be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mich,

I will keep you in my prayers. I am looking forward to hearing about your experience when you get back.

May we all follow Jesus where ever He leads.

♥ Hope

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...

I'm sure you are in for a great time! Have fun! :)

S and J said...

Wow on this post!! Great, great words...